Tuesday 2 November 2010

This day last year

This day last year was my designated due date. For due date read 'date randomly picked from a hat'. Or more accurately, 'randomly picked from the midwifes pregnancy wheel thingy'. On 2nd November 2009 I found myself in a 40 week midwife apppointment in front of a midwife called Catriona I had never met before and who knew nothing about me except what was in my pink notes but who thought it was appropriate to put the fear of god into me. Prepare yourself for a c section she said. Get in touch with a local taxi firm who accommodate infant seats as you won't be able to drive, cook loads of meals and freeze them (ok, so that was a good tip) and above all, be calm. Be calm woman I spluttered through the tears?! Be calm?! Well go and have a nice glass of wine she said. BTW, the reason she said it would be a section was that I was carrying a 10lb baby at least. Anyone who knows me in real life knows that this would not be a problem for me ;) Childbearing hips you see!

So I went for my glass of wine and got in touch with my NCT teacher who did an amazing job at calming me down. Nonetheless, Harry wasn't interested in either coming on time or indeed coming completely naturally... My ideal of a water birth had gone out the window ages ago for various reasons and looming ahead now was an induction which would prove a trial to say the least...

To be continued!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word... it's so emotional thinking /reading back ... Maybe I got off very lightly having Thomas early xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I don't think you did, but it's true we had very different experiences! I'm sure we would both have liked on time, low maintenance, natural deliveries but I think we both know there is no choice when it comes to the crunch :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers